Tuesday, July 25, 2006

No Regrets

More lip curling for The Smiling Infidel.

Three years ago, my husband had surgery to fix a blocked tear duct. The procedure involved breaking a hole in the bone near his eye and, essentially, creating a new duct. As part of the process, the doc inserted a tiny tube into the new tear duct to hold it open while it healed. The tube went up through Phil's nose, out one duct and into the other, and then back down into his nose, creating a loop. It was quite irritating and really gross to look at. Of course the grossness factor inspired Phil to have me take this picture of the atrocity. If you look closely, you can see the tube in the corner of his eye going into the tear ducts of each eye lid. It still creeps me out to look at.

Phil's favorite part of the operation was finding out that the dressing they used to pack his nose after surgery was loaded with cocaine. (Awwww, my little druggie gets his first--and only--fix!)

6 comments:

Kactiguy said...

mmmm cocaine. I had nose surgury cocaine once too. Phil is like even cooler than ever before. What's a Guy gotta do to get eye tubes so I can be more like Phil?

Tiffany UnTwisted said...

I agree. I am grossed out by the picture and had to scroll downthe page to read the rest of the post to make sure the picture was covered. :) That's like my my husband going around and showing everyone his broken collar bone sticking out of his skin. It's nasty. I'm just glad he can't get the shirt on and off easily so I don't have to look at it. I think you just turned into a saint in my book by dealing with this "look" :)

elasticwaistbandlady said...

Am I the only one hearing strains of Eric Clapton singing, "Cocaine"?

My Papi never cries. Maybe, it's just blocked tear ducts, and he's really a sensitive soul underneath it all. I'm glad that Phil had the surgery done, now he can sob with relative ease at the chick flick marathons of "Steel Magnolias", "Fried Green Tomatoes", Ya-Ya Sisterhood".

Oh, the marvels of modern technology!

Lesleigh said...

OK I may get fired for blogging at work, but I have to say that is just gross. And double gross to your other story. I'm still sick to my stomach from hearing it a week ago!

And just because I was so disgusted by the story I had to run and tell Kim the next day. :)Hey, everyone should have that wonderful mental picture of a needle going through you finger...or a tube in Phil's eye.

One of my boys had that done (the eye tube thing) when they were a year old...and I have to say I can't remember which one!!! Can you believe that. Just call me Mother of the Year.

Elizabeth-W said...

I love gross-out stuff. Maybe the cocaine encourages blood flow? Loved the sewing story, too. Just another good reason for me to not learn to sew.:)

dalene said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.