Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Getting all misty over...

My twelve-year-old son reciting (from memory) this Robert Frost poem:

The Road Not Taken

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.


I spent the rest of the drive back home (he recited it for me while I drove him to school) thinking about the roads he will have to choose between in the future, praying that his choice will make all the difference, and feeling blessed that I have such a great son.

4 comments:

b. said...

LOVE that one!!

Elizabeth-W said...

Awww....Love it.

QueenScarlett said...

Love that poem too... brought back memories of memorizing poems as a kid.

Lesleigh said...

That is a great poem. And a wonderful one for A- to memorize. Maybe because he had to memorize it, the words will stick with him as he makes decisions in life.

Maybe I should make my 14yr old memorize it. I really worry about which path he's wanting to take lately.